Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    2,325
    Reputation
    3854
    Type
    Just Me.

    Morality? Where does yours lead?

    Today I faced a bit of a conundrum.

    I was out this morning doing a last bit of shopping before Christmas and on my way home, bags in hand, I spotted something lying on the ground in front of me. It was a bank card belonging to some woman (by the name) unknown to me.

    I could have left it where it was Ė nothing to do with me right?

    I could have taken it and used it - Ä50 a pop without any need for I.D. or a PIN, just tap and go. There would be very little chance of it already having been cancelled.

    It was outside a shop, likely the last time it was used. I could have brought it in to the shop and left it there in the hope that the person would return there looking for it.

    I could have brought it to the bank concerned, just 2 minutes out of my way, and left it with them.

    I could have brought it to the local police station, a little further away (maybe 10 minutesí walk) and left it with them.

    So what did I do?

    I picked it up, had a quick look around me to see if I could see anyone it may belong to but there was no-one, so I put it in my pocket.

    I brought it home and put it through my shredder.

    Why did I do what I did? Iím questioning if I did the right thing.

    Of the options available to me, I didnít know the people I could have left it with and it could have been misused; and if Iíd left it where I found it the next person to find it could also have misused it.

    This person is likely to have a very shitty Christmas without access to her bank card; no matter what I did it seems she wouldnít have recovered it in time. Maybe the shop would have allowed for this but I didnít know the shop and had no way of judging the shop assistanceís honesty.

    At least Iíve ensured her account wasnít raided.

    What do you think of my solution? Did I make a mistake in my reasoning?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    54
    Reputation
    297
    Type
    Neutral

    Re: Morality? Where does yours lead?

    If nothing else, you ensured the account couldn't be accessed through the lost card. That's an acceptable solution.

    Integrity is doing the right thing even when nobody is watching. Ya done good.

  3. #3

    Re: Morality? Where does yours lead?

    Was there a customer service number you could have called on the back of the card?

    You could have called them, and they could have informed the owner and started the process of sending her a new card.

    If I lost my card, I would have appreciated getting such a call from the company. Knowing someone did me a nice favor would have reaffirmed my faith in humanity.
    An escort is a woman you occasionally financially support only when she has sex with you.

    A date is a woman you occasionally financially support in the hope she will have sex with you.

    A wife is a woman you constantly financially support even when she is not having sex with you.

    An ex-wife is a woman you constantly financially support with alimony so she can have sex......with someone else.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    2,325
    Reputation
    3854
    Type
    Just Me.

    Re: Morality? Where does yours lead?

    Quote Originally Posted by sam luis obispo View Post
    Was there a customer service number you could have called on the back of the card?

    You could have called them, and they could have informed the owner and started the process of sending her a new card.

    If I lost my card, I would have appreciated getting such a call from the company. Knowing someone did me a nice favor would have reaffirmed my faith in humanity.
    You’re probably right.

    Her bank was also my bank so I had the contact details. I could have brought it home and contacted them online. What can I say? I acted impulsively.

    On the other side, I’d assume that as soon as she realised she’d lost her card she would have initialised the process of cancelling and getting a new card, the time frame being similar.

    Yes, maybe finding a way to return it to her could have restored her faith in humanity in some way, but is that faith generally warranted? I’d like to think so but…

    Maybe this says something about my lack of trust in others today and this is why I brought it to the forum.

  5. #5

    Re: Morality? Where does yours lead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackoff View Post
    You’re probably right.

    Her bank was also my bank so I had the contact details. I could have brought it home and contacted them online. What can I say? I acted impulsively.

    On the other side, I’d assume that as soon as she realised she’d lost her card she would have initialised the process of cancelling and getting a new card, the time frame being similar.

    Yes, maybe finding a way to return it to her could have restored her faith in humanity in some way, but is that faith generally warranted? I’d like to think so but…

    Maybe this says something about my lack of trust in others today and this is why I brought it to the forum.
    I was envisioning a scenario where I did not know I had lost the card, and would appreciate knowing that the bank had already been informed, that it had been found before somone had put on bogus charges, and that a replacement was already on its way.
    An escort is a woman you occasionally financially support only when she has sex with you.

    A date is a woman you occasionally financially support in the hope she will have sex with you.

    A wife is a woman you constantly financially support even when she is not having sex with you.

    An ex-wife is a woman you constantly financially support with alimony so she can have sex......with someone else.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    3
    Reputation
    14
    Type
    Bachelor

    Re: Morality? Where does yours lead?

    Every bank is different, but some will immediately shred the card if you bring it in. If she goes to the bank, most can give her a new card over the counter and cancel the old in 15 min. I think your choice was best.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    2,325
    Reputation
    3854
    Type
    Just Me.

    Re: Morality? Where does yours lead?

    Quote Originally Posted by youngLorne View Post
    Every bank is different, but some will immediately shred the card if you bring it in. If she goes to the bank, most can give her a new card over the counter and cancel the old in 15 min. I think your choice was best.
    Really?

    A new card over the counter?

    I find that hard to believe, but then again different countries have different rules.

    Here, cards are sent in the post. It takes time to make a new card and more time to send it in the post. There is no alternative as far as I’m aware.

    The default PIN is also sent through the post, but separately from the card to avoid card and PIN being intercepted simultaneously.

    The whole process usually takes a few weeks.

    You can go in to your bank and access your account without your card, but this would be a laborious process where you have to furnish all sorts of I.D. to prove who you say you are.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    3
    Reputation
    14
    Type
    Bachelor

    Re: Morality? Where does yours lead?

    Ya probably regional - CIBC replaced my Visa over the counter this fall, PIN set on first use, I had to show my drivers license.

    Bank cards could be different I guess.

    On the other hand monthly meto cards in Lisbon still take 36 hours, so just depends where you live.

    Stay safe man, hope you get your ban, it's good to get away from the virtual world sometimes (and good to come back sometimes too).


Similar Threads

  1. Moral Development (and Women's Morality)
    By johnsmith79 in forum The Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 25, 2021, 4:09 PM
  2. morality and ethics of the sexes
    By wool.wizard in forum For Ghosts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 9, 2016, 2:27 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 7, 2015, 10:51 AM
  4. Not sure where this will lead, here goes...
    By Prophet of Truth in forum New Member Intros
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: January 6, 2015, 8:27 AM
  5. Reg D Hunter - Womens Morality
    By sirreaper in forum The MGTOW Video Vault
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 11, 2014, 3:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •