Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    348
    Reputation
    855
    Type
    Ghost

    Truth with humour

    Here’s a link to an episode of a show I like to watch:



    It doesn’t have anything to do with the MGTOW philosophy except as to highlight many of the ways we’ve been lied to all our lives with regards to what we regard as ‘common knowledge’.

    Our U.K. members will probably be aware of the show, called QI (short for ‘Quite Interesting’) as it has been running for many years.

    What I like about it is its humour in tackling a serious subject. It is at the same time funny, irreverent (at least in the earlier seasons) and informative, even if the information is often less than topical. The comments and interactions from the various guests usually make me laugh and often make me think. Just don’t take all you hear as factual, it usually is but as with anything mistakes are made.

    I would be interested to know if there is anything like this in other parts of the world, especially in the English speaking nations as I would be able to understand the language – there is always something missing when reading subtitles and audio dubbing is right out as all the humorous inflection and idiosyncrasies tend to get lost.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    All we can do is keep ourselves from all those who don't deserve it. – Dave Matthes

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gizzard Gulch Or.
    Posts
    2,133
    Reputation
    8697
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    It says the videos been blocked in my country due to copyright grounds.
    Every day I make the world a little bit worse.

  3. #3
    Administrator Unboxxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,960
    Reputation
    11349
    Type
    enigmatic

    Re: Truth with humour

    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    It says the videos been blocked in my country due to copyright grounds.
    I used my VPN to access a server in Ireland where I could pull up the video. Here is the actual URL, for those who are able to access, to confirm you are watching the right one:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erDaYhcnrI4

    The video is 50:44 in length. I googled QI XL G01 from a USA server and only found one link of 00:42 seconds in length.
    The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why. - Mark Twain

    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
    - Henry David Thoreau

    There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

    Suitable for bookmarking: www.fakehatecrimes.org and www.breitbart.com/tag/hate-crime-hoax and register-her.net

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gizzard Gulch Or.
    Posts
    2,133
    Reputation
    8697
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    Still having no luck, but thanks for trying. Couldn't watch the whole thing anyway, with satellite net it would take a week.

    Over twenty years ago, America passed some damn great communications bill. Was a bit before the net exploded. It was huge, nobody had time to read it, and it was full of political pork. It among other things, gave away enough internet access that some think it could of paid off the national debt if the country had charged for it. I got no proof a that, though it sounds likely enough. But I can tell you one thing. Since then, American TV, radio, and newspapers have all been on the same page. Yeah, there's a few kook counterculture papers and such, but 99.9 % of the news is not going to rock the boat. America never was big on telling her citizens much, but it's a whole new level compared to how it used to be. Independents used to say what they think, now days not so much. Like Robin William's once said "all the news that's new and improved."
    Every day I make the world a little bit worse.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    348
    Reputation
    855
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    It says the videos been blocked in my country due to copyright grounds.
    My apologies. I never would have posted this if I had known.

    This is a full episode of a U.K. show made by the B.B.C. As most U.K. content is blocked here on copyright grounds I wrongly assumed that it was not region blocked as I am able to view it without a VPN.

    It's not really worth going through any hassle to see, I just thought a little humour to pass an hour might be appreciated.

    Again I offer my apologies.
    Last edited by Jackoff; September 10, 2019 at 11:43 AM.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    All we can do is keep ourselves from all those who don't deserve it. – Dave Matthes

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gizzard Gulch Or.
    Posts
    2,133
    Reputation
    8697
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    Think nothing of it Jackoff, no harm done. Not sure what I'd think of your show, but have not been too crazy about what I've seen from the BBC so far. However, "Bike" has been my favorite magazine for years.

    I don't know if I'd like Ireland or it's culture, but many of my favorite people are Americans from Irish family's. It can't be just chance, there has to be some reason for it.
    Every day I make the world a little bit worse.

  7. #7
    Administrator Unboxxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,960
    Reputation
    11349
    Type
    enigmatic

    Re: Truth with humour

    Agree. Think nothing of it, Jackoff. I wonder how many videos any of us have posted that other users cannot pull up.

    None of us ever know which ones are geo-fenced. It happens.

    My earlier post gave me an opportunity to use my VPN to get inside the fence. Hey, it worked, just like they say!

    The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why. - Mark Twain

    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
    - Henry David Thoreau

    There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

    Suitable for bookmarking: www.fakehatecrimes.org and www.breitbart.com/tag/hate-crime-hoax and register-her.net

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    348
    Reputation
    855
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    If anyone is still even remotely interested, here’s a version that I don’t think is blocked:


    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ezv3e

    So far there have been over 200 episodes of this show. Think about that for a moment, over 200 episodes debunking what we think we know about the world around us, and that’s without getting into politics or any of the other nasty sides of life. Oh, and the only reason I picked this episode is I happened to be watching it at the time, not because there’s anything special about it.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    All we can do is keep ourselves from all those who don't deserve it. – Dave Matthes

  9. #9
    Administrator Unboxxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,960
    Reputation
    11349
    Type
    enigmatic

    Re: Truth with humour

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackoff View Post
    If anyone is still even remotely interested, here’s a version that I don’t think is blocked:

    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ezv3e
    Yes, in the USA I am able to pull it up. It is titled Qi S07 E01 Xl Gardens and is 42:45 minutes in length.

    Thanks.
    The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why. - Mark Twain

    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
    - Henry David Thoreau

    There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

    Suitable for bookmarking: www.fakehatecrimes.org and www.breitbart.com/tag/hate-crime-hoax and register-her.net

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    348
    Reputation
    855
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Think nothing of it Jackoff, no harm done. Not sure what I'd think of your show, but have not been too crazy about what I've seen from the BBC so far. However, "Bike" has been my favorite magazine for years.

    I don't know if I'd like Ireland or it's culture, but many of my favorite people are Americans from Irish family's. It can't be just chance, there has to be some reason for it.
    The BBC is funded mainly from T.V. licence fees, just another form of tax if you ask me, but it does have some benefits. The shows they create are wildly diverse trying to create something for everyone so many of them do not appeal to the masses. I will say though that their documentaries are usually superb, second to none in my opinion. Do not confuse U.K. BBC with BBC America, they are two VERY different beasts.

    Thank you for what you say about Irish Americans, I cannot speak to that but here we seem to have a very unique view on life, serious when need-be but generally easy going with a quirky sense of humour that seems to be part of our make-up.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    All we can do is keep ourselves from all those who don't deserve it. – Dave Matthes

  11. #11
    Senior Member Resdayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    House Telvanni
    Posts
    311
    Reputation
    826
    Type
    Neutral

    Re: Truth with humour

    Ah, that's Stephen Fry, right? Wasn't he getting smeared for "wrongthink" alongside John Cleese?
    Lord Nerevar Reborn

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    348
    Reputation
    855
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    Quote Originally Posted by Resdayn View Post
    Ah, that's Stephen Fry, right? Wasn't he getting smeared for "wrongthink" alongside John Cleese?
    Not too sure what you're referring to, maybe something to do with this. Stephen Fry did cause a bit of a sensation here when he was accused of blasphemy for espousing atheistic views.

    Here's a report from the Irish Independent on the matter.

    Mr Fry explained that he "didn't mean" to cause offence by his comments, in which he questioned how God could create a world "with such misery".
    "We chatted and then he just threw in this last question, about if you met God, what would you say to him. Without getting all sort of academic, it’s called the argument from evil and it’s very old, hundreds of years old way of addressing the issue of what’s known as Theodicy, the justification of the ways of God to man.

    "I sort of said I would be furious with God, what are you thinking about if you are the all-powerful God who created the world in which children get bone cancer.
    "There’s no good that comes from such a thing. There's nothing but pain and suffering, it makes no sense, how dare you."
    With regards to the one person that made the accusation, it was something of a debate here whether he was genuinely offended or just wanted to highlight how much influence the Catholic church has on our laws, especially in light of all the child abuse scandals in recent years.
    Last edited by Jackoff; September 12, 2019 at 10:19 AM.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    All we can do is keep ourselves from all those who don't deserve it. – Dave Matthes

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gizzard Gulch Or.
    Posts
    2,133
    Reputation
    8697
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    Being a history buff I know a little about how Ireland used to be, and I'm aware of the less than warm welcome you got moving to America. The things they said and printed in the eighteen hundreds, our modern day racists are a bunch a pantywaists compared to them. But you made it. Now your everywhere.

    What things are like today though, I couldn't tell you. The Hitler channel, um excuse me, the history channel, they say you live in a stone house with a thatch roof, and herd sheep for a living. How do you make a computer out of rocks?

    In the American west, we aren't ashamed of our heritage, but it usually runs a poor second to our present lives. A few generations of that and you got guys like me, who barely know who their grandparents were. That's how I managed to make a bunch of Irish friends without knowing it.
    Every day I make the world a little bit worse.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    348
    Reputation
    855
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Being a history buff I know a little about how Ireland used to be, and I'm aware of the less than warm welcome you got moving to America. The things they said and printed in the eighteen hundreds, our modern day racists are a bunch a pantywaists compared to them. But you made it. Now your everywhere.

    What things are like today though, I couldn't tell you. The Hitler channel, um excuse me, the history channel, they say you live in a stone house with a thatch roof, and herd sheep for a living. How do you make a computer out of rocks?

    In the American west, we aren't ashamed of our heritage, but it usually runs a poor second to our present lives. A few generations of that and you got guys like me, who barely know who their grandparents were. That's how I managed to make a bunch of Irish friends without knowing it.
    LMAO.

    I know of only a few buildings personally with thatched roofs and the only reason that they're still thatched is because of protection orders preventing them from being replaced. Apparently they add something to the perceived culture?

    As to the sheep? Well I grew up in a city and the only sheep I saw were as lamb cutlets on the dinner table. But we do have a strong agricultural base and the farm produce here is excellent and quite well priced.

    Although our lifestyle choices and self-deprecating sense of humour may belie the fact, we are not the backwards people we once were, thanks in no small part to heavy American multinational investment.

    Once the Brits leave the E.U. completely we will be the only nation left within the union that speaks English as a first language (as far as I know). That, and the fact that we have a comparatively decent level of education, moderate year round weather and low corporate tax rates makes Ireland a great prospect for businesses with a view to the European market.

    All that's not to say life here is perfect, far from it, but I think we'll be O.K.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    All we can do is keep ourselves from all those who don't deserve it. – Dave Matthes

  15. #15
    Senior Member mgtower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,169
    Reputation
    5954
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackoff View Post
    LMAO.

    I know of only a few buildings personally with thatched roofs and the only reason that they're still thatched is because of protection orders preventing them from being replaced. Apparently they add something to the perceived culture?

    As to the sheep? Well I grew up in a city and the only sheep I saw were as lamb cutlets on the dinner table. But we do have a strong agricultural base and the farm produce here is excellent and quite well priced.

    Although our lifestyle choices and self-deprecating sense of humour may belie the fact, we are not the backwards people we once were, thanks in no small part to heavy American multinational investment.

    Once the Brits leave the E.U. completely we will be the only nation left within the union that speaks English as a first language (as far as I know). That, and the fact that we have a comparatively decent level of education, moderate year round weather and low corporate tax rates makes Ireland a great prospect for businesses with a view to the European market.

    All that's not to say life here is perfect, far from it, but I think we'll be O.K.
    We have tens of thousands of thatch roofs here in America! Under the thatch you'll find some ruins where homes and factories once proudly stood! Shit, I got some thatch of my own! We sure took an ass pounding over the last 30+ years! The rust belt is something to see, in some places it looks like a war zone topped off with natural disaster! Change is here to stay no matter what lilly whiteknight says to the contrary! I need not look any further than out my windows in every direction to see the magnificent changes made by the most spoiled rotten self centered culture to ravage the land! Life here is a matter of survival against nature dictated by natural law, while man's law perverted and molested brought us to this place of damnation and desolation. Everything I was taught to believe has turned out to be a big fat lie!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    348
    Reputation
    855
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Truth with humour

    Quote Originally Posted by mgtower View Post
    We have tens of thousands of thatch roofs here in America! Under the thatch you'll find some ruins where homes and factories once proudly stood! Shit, I got some thatch of my own! We sure took an ass pounding over the last 30+ years! The rust belt is something to see, in some places it looks like a war zone topped off with natural disaster! Change is here to stay no matter what lilly whiteknight says to the contrary! I need not look any further than out my windows in every direction to see the magnificent changes made by the most spoiled rotten self centered culture to ravage the land! Life here is a matter of survival against nature dictated by natural law, while man's law perverted and molested brought us to this place of damnation and desolation. Everything I was taught to believe has turned out to be a big fat lie!
    I wholeheartedly agree that we have been duped from birth and throughout our lives, this is not unique to the States. Political corruption here is rife with "brown envelopes" (a colloquialism used to describe a payoff) used to secure government contracts seemingly being considered business as usual. We have even been described as the most corrupt nation in the western world. I do not know the truth of this, but it is certainly not without merit.

    The greed of mankind never fails to sadden me. Whatever happened to the notion of a spit and a shake, a man's word is his bond, honesty is the best policy? Was that ever really a thing or just another of the many lies fed to us to allow the shysters to con the honest man? I believe the latter.

    It's a sad state of affairs to be sure and one from which I can see no way forward as a species. In fact it's probably set to get even worse.

    Disassociation as much as possible is the only way to self preservation.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    All we can do is keep ourselves from all those who don't deserve it. – Dave Matthes


Similar Threads

  1. so much truth!
    By sam luis obispo in forum Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 19, 2018, 8:47 PM
  2. Anti-humour MDE take on THE WALL
    By dahC in forum Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 1, 2017, 6:43 AM
  3. Midweek Humour -
    By Delmore Schwartz in forum Random (Non-MGTOW subjects)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 26, 2016, 9:16 AM
  4. The truth about the PAY GAP...
    By Insidious_Sid in forum Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 2, 2015, 8:11 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 15, 2014, 5:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •