Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Debating Pareto

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    3,000
    Reputation
    5017
    Type
    Just Me

    Debating Pareto

    The Pareto principle states that for many outcomes, roughly 80% of consequences come from 20% of causes.
    There are many that take this to argue that 80% of women are only interested in 20% of men. I believe this is a flawed application of the rule but I’ll be honest, I have no evidence to offer for this perspective other than my own observation that more than 20% of men hook up. I’m sure many will attempt to dissuade me from this perspective so have at it; that is what debate is about after all.

    First though, let me explain where I am at concerning the Pareto principle (to give you something to aim at).



    It is a general, data driven analysis of distribution ratios. I say “general” because even the definition (“for many outcomes”) tells us that it should be used with caution.

    This can be useful in business management because it suggests that 80% of problems can be rectified by concentrating on 20% of bad practices, now all you have to do is spend time and effort in identifying that particular 20%, and also ensure that your “fix” does not cause even more problems. Easier said than done, but I’ll come back to this in a moment.

    It can also be useful in looking at why so many blue-pill relationships fail. I won’t elaborate on this because it would come across as relationship counselling and as far as I’m concerned the best counselling with regards to relationships is not to get into one in the first place.

    Instead let’s keep it business oriented for the moment using a hypothetical. You can draw your own comparisons with regards relationships if you like.

    Hypothetical:

    You run a supermarket with multiple tills and each till has multiple operators throughout the day. You suspect that one (or more) of your employees is (are) stealing from you because the takings rarely match the till readings.

    A good approach to this is to have each of your employees responsible for their own float and takings. If you’ve ever been at a store when the till operator changes you’ll notice that they bring their own cash drawer insert with them and each operator takes a reading from the till before leaving / beginning their shift.

    This is good because management now have a tool at their disposal to help identify what is happening, when and by whom.

    A bad approach is to act impulsively by calling your staff to a meeting, berating them for what’s happening, showing them your annoyance and declaring that you’re going to put a stop to it. This is counter-productive.

    For a start you’re tipping your hand if someone is actually stealing from you. All this does is give them notice to be more careful, or to lay off it for a while. This makes the job of identifying them more difficult, the opposite of what you should be doing.

    It will also lower moral amongst your staff as they (the honest ones) will feel that they’re being wrongfully suspected of theft.

    Now, you may think that this is a small price to pay but you’d be wrong. They will tell their friends about how they are being mistreated which may cause them to shop elsewhere, and rumours spread. Also, bad feelings amongst your staff will affect how they treat customers also discouraging them to shop there. Your takings WILL be negatively affected. Is it such a small price to pay now?

    Then there is the possibility that you will actually cause more of your staff to thieve from you. This can happen for (at least) 2 reasons:

    First, they see that someone is thieving and getting away with it (because you have made the accusation and yet have failed to identify them) and so they might have a go themselves.

    Second, some may take the view of: “Well, if I’m going to be blamed for something it may as well be true!”

    One bad decision can have multiple effects that you may not see if you act impulsively: “roughly 80% of consequences come from 20% of causes”. Applying the Pareto principle to such decisions helps you make the right choice for the right reasons and avoid bad decisions.

    In short, it is my belief that if you’re going to apply the Pareto principle to people’s motivations it should be used as a tool to improve your situation, not as an excuse for why you can’t get laid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bumfuck, Egypt
    Posts
    3,563
    Reputation
    11222
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Debating Pareto

    I never heard of Pareto, but what he says more or less matches what I saw at work.

    Most of Smokey's workers have a wide variety of duties. Some people think everything they do should get their 100% full attention. But that's a sucker move, and you'll always be behind the eight ball. Only about ten percent or so of what I did was really important and deserved my best. Another twenty percent or so was somewhat important but not really vital. Half of what I did could be done quick and dirty without really hurting anything. Unless you want to do a bunch of extra work for nothing it pays to decide what really counts.
    Every day I make the world a little bit worse.

  3. #3

    Re: Debating Pareto

    Hmmm I kinda of get ya, although to be honest I feel like it more 30/70 when it comes to women. Either way the point still stands

    Most women want only a small selection of top percentage men, sure they may "settle" with "lesser" men but thoses relationships almost always fail because women hate non-chad men, hence the remorseless using and abuse of the beta male.

    This is simply biology, the problems come when everyone and their mama keep lying to beta men telling them that women care about emotions or character when what they truly only care about is is he hot or not.

    Don't believe me? check any number of dating profiles of women, they are all looking for damn near the same man.

    This why men in general need to forget women and live for themselves

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    3,000
    Reputation
    5017
    Type
    Just Me

    Re: Debating Pareto

    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    I never heard of Pareto, but what he says more or less matches what I saw at work.

    Most of Smokey's workers have a wide variety of duties. Some people think everything they do should get their 100% full attention. But that's a sucker move, and you'll always be behind the eight ball. Only about ten percent or so of what I did was really important and deserved my best. Another twenty percent or so was somewhat important but not really vital. Half of what I did could be done quick and dirty without really hurting anything. Unless you want to do a bunch of extra work for nothing it pays to decide what really counts.
    That’s kinda my point. When it comes to certain issues like the workplace it holds true. 80:20 / 90:10 / 70:30 it makes no odds, it makes sense that small differences in how you approach your prioritisation of your workload will affect how your competency for the tasks given to you will be viewed, if that’s important to you and your prospects for promotion.

    When it comes to relationships it can also hold true, but care should be taken in how one views this.

    An example:

    Back in the 1980’s a friend and co-worker of mine was going through a rough time. Inflation was going through the roof and this was having a knock on effect on his marriage. He was stressed out to fuck.

    We chatted about his situation and I told him that at least 80 – 90 percent of problems can safely be ignored, that they are transitory and won’t mean a damn a year from now.

    He looked at me as if I was a moron from outer space because his problems were in the here and now and not some mythical scenario to be psychoanalysed.

    A month or so later he came back to me. He told me I was right, that he had been worrying about the wrong things and actually thanked me for my insight.

    I was flabbergasted. To me this was just basic rationalisation but to him it was a new way of thinking.

    80:20

    80% of life’s perceived problems are not a problem at all. 20% need to be addressed.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    3,000
    Reputation
    5017
    Type
    Just Me

    Re: Debating Pareto

    Quote Originally Posted by FangBlade View Post
    Hmmm I kinda of get ya, although to be honest I feel like it more 30/70 when it comes to women. Either way the point still stands

    Most women want only a small selection of top percentage men, sure they may "settle" with "lesser" men but thoses relationships almost always fail because women hate non-chad men, hence the remorseless using and abuse of the beta male.

    This is simply biology, the problems come when everyone and their mama keep lying to beta men telling them that women care about emotions or character when what they truly only care about is is he hot or not.

    Don't believe me? check any number of dating profiles of women, they are all looking for damn near the same man.

    This why men in general need to forget women and live for themselves
    Yeah, dating sites.

    That’s where most of these stats come from.

    I agree with you that the ratios are open to interpretation: 80:20 / 90:10 / 95:5, whatever. It makes no difference. There is a discrepancy there and this is what those that support the Pareto principal prey upon.

    But dating sites do not accurately reflect reality.

    How so you may ask?

    For the moment let’s assume that those involved in these sites are looking for a long term committed relationship eventually leading to marriage.

    No?

    Well they are. They may think that they’re looking for a fuck-buddy, a pump’n’dump, but they’re really looking for a mate for life otherwise they’d hire a whore.

    Not all of them, but most of them.

    They are fooling themselves if they think other ways.

    So, you have this horde of self-delusional fools out there looking for Miss or Mister right, but they’re looking in the wrong place.

    People lie. Rarely more so than when they’re trying to attract a mate.

    This trait is none more evident than on dating sites, do you agree?

    If you agree with this then you also have to agree that any stats returned by such sites are skewed.

    There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mgtower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    6,506
    Reputation
    17795
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Debating Pareto

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackoff View Post
    Yeah, dating sites.

    That’s where most of these stats come from.

    Out here in the real world, where the very few straggler anomalies like myself that have their smartphone covered in dust, disconnected, dead battery, that never used a dating site since the invention of the internet, come from a world that once upon a time the stats were very much different. The dating candy store was a mom and pop operation with limited prospects and limited exposure. Now it's a transnational retail supercenter with every imaginable product under the sun!

    Yea, people are fucked up because the tiny little world of yesteryear has gone intergalactic lightspeed at the touch of a finger. The Bell System used to call it "long distance" and much of the time lots of static and background interference. Now it's a live podcast at the top of a mountain seen around the world in a split second.

    Two things vanished from this world, one is privacy, the other is isolation. The transformation has been breathtaking, I attended a two room schoolhouse the last year of its operation, now everything's a campus.

    Smartphones aren't smart, they're taking their toll on the population psychologically and physically with one's chin against their neck all the time.

    I'm just a neutral observer in a world gone bat-shit crazy trying to keep the bat-shit crazy away from myself!

    I got my own "stats" the more choices you give a women the more she becomes confused and the more I must remove myself from that confusion!

    We're not in Kansas anymore!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    3,000
    Reputation
    5017
    Type
    Just Me

    Re: Debating Pareto

    Quote Originally Posted by mgtower View Post
    Out here in the real world, where the very few straggler anomalies like myself that have their smartphone covered in dust, disconnected, dead battery, that never used a dating site since the invention of the internet, come from a world that once upon a time the stats were very much different. The dating candy store was a mom and pop operation with limited prospects and limited exposure. Now it's a transnational retail supercenter with every imaginable product under the sun!

    Yea, people are fucked up because the tiny little world of yesteryear has gone intergalactic lightspeed at the touch of a finger. The Bell System used to call it "long distance" and much of the time lots of static and background interference. Now it's a live podcast at the top of a mountain seen around the world in a split second.

    Two things vanished from this world, one is privacy, the other is isolation. The transformation has been breathtaking, I attended a two room schoolhouse the last year of its operation, now everything's a campus.

    Smartphones aren't smart, they're taking their toll on the population psychologically and physically with one's chin against their neck all the time.

    I'm just a neutral observer in a world gone bat-shit crazy trying to keep the bat-shit crazy away from myself!

    I got my own "stats" the more choices you give a women the more she becomes confused and the more I must remove myself from that confusion!

    We're not in Kansas anymore!
    Ha!

    I have 2 so-called smartphones. One is an aging relic of an iPhone that I use as a timer. The other is a spanking new Samsung that I need for online banking and that’s all it gets used for. Neither have a sim card installed.

    My mobile (cell) phone of choice is even older than the relic of an iPhone I own. It’s an old Nokia dumbphone bought around 2002 and although it’s looking a bit worse for wear it’s still kicking.

    I can make and receive calls and texts on it and that’s about it, and it’s all that I want.

    It looks though that I will have to abandon it shortly. I received a text a month or so ago from my service provider stating that they are abandoning 2G technology and once that happens my phone will no longer be a phone, just a piece of useless outdated technology.

    Ho hum! C’est la vie.


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: October 8, 2017, 12:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •