Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1

    12 pounds off so far

    My dietary changes are working. I haven't even really started my exercise program other than walking. But 12 pounds have melted off. For those of you in metric countries, that's about 5.5 kilograms. I've decided to cook all my meals using quality recipes and ingredients. That's lots of fiber and no white sugar or white flower, and especially no more consuming soda pop, regular or diet. I use a coffee maker to make huge pots of unsweetened black tea that I keep in a big gallon (about 4 liters) container. I hate coffee, so I was drinking a lot of caffeinated soda to pep me up. Now I just drink the unsweet black tea, sparkling water, and regular water.

    I still need to get off my duff and exercise. That will speed the process. But this is a good start. The truth is, the big corporations don't give a fuck about you. They just want to make money, and the fast food model and the packaged foods model is designed to make them a huge amount of money ONLY. They don't consider your health needs one iota. So I decided to take back control. I cook healthy dishes, often slow cooking them all day in a crock pot. They are quality foods full of fiber. The extra I save in individually portioned meal sizes in freezer bags in my freezer. That way, I always have a supply of ready-made meals that are of high quality and won't put weight on me. I can go several days without cooking, but still have quality meals ready for me.

    I haven't reached my goal, but my goal is not to attain a specific weight. That's a milestone. My goal is to be at my ideal weight for a year and then to re-set goals at the end of that time. In other words, when I reach my ideal weight, that will be a good milestone, but it will NOT be my goal.

    Health may not be everything, but it's hugely important. You could have a shit ton of wealth, but if you didn't have health, all that wealth would be mostly useless. My overall goals are to increase both my health and wealth. I call them H&W. If you achieve a high level with both, your life is good.

    This is a big part of going my own way. I'm taking control and making my life how I want it to be rather than letting it be controlled by the particular consumerist culture that I live in. Our chronic poor health in the United States is one issue that is actually not the feminists' fault, though they haven't been very effective in dealing with it. I'm dealing with it by taking control myself, by taking responsibility for it myself, and NOT by blaming others. There are other forces at play, of course. Our huge fast food industry/packaged foods industry isn't doing anyone any favors. They don't care if people are healthy or not. However, you can care, and you can take control.

    I'm also not going hungry or feeling deprived. The recipes I make are full of fiber and great stuff, so I get to eat enough to feel totally satisfied. I don't have to portion the meal sizes down so small that I suffer through hunger pangs until my next meal. I wouldn't be able to do that. The meals just aren't loaded with the massive amounts of white sugar and white flower and salt that so much packaged and fast foods have. I don't go for fried foods anymore. At first I REALLY missed fried chicken, but I'm getting to the point where I don't miss it anymore.

    The truth is, if you don't want to have shit health, there are things you can do about it. My doctor had warned that I was in danger of getting type 2 diabetes. Well, I'm in the process of reversing that. I could stand to lose a lot more pounds. You usually can't lose the total amount you need to lose in a short period of time, but what you can do immediately is get it going in the right direction. So I'm going in the right direction! The most important thing is, I'm enjoying it. I'm finding new foods that I like, which will satisfy me and not pile the pounds up on me.

  2. #2

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Quote Originally Posted by TigPlaze View Post
    My goal is to be at my ideal weight for a year and then to re-set goals at the end of that time. In other words, when I reach my ideal weight, that will be a good milestone, but it will NOT be my goal.
    Awesome TIG. Keep going, stay focused. The important thing is to always remember WHY you're doing this new lifestyle change. WHY you're willing to alter your old way of living and adapt new habits. It's not about how you'll eventually end up looking, it's very important to always stay focused on the real reason you're doing what you're doing (medical, esthetic, financial reasons). Keep trucking while always reminding yourself of the real reason for the change.

  3. #3
    Senior Member mgtower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3,999
    Reputation
    12174
    Type
    Ghosted by law and order.

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    You're on the right track! Have you considered growing your own fruits and veggies?

    I've perfected processing veggies down to CO2 purged and vacuum bagged breaded eggplant and zucchini for freezer storage, not to mention 10 to 15 gallons of veggie garden soup where chicken, meat, or beans can be added after defrosting from individual servings. I also grow, mill, and boil down my own tomato sauce. Next spring I'm gonna restart my chicken coup with 2 or three turkeys to be slaughtered and frozen for winter consumption.

    Anyway, it didn't happen overnight, it's taken many years and lots of time, practice. and equipment invested, in fact, I just used a chipper/mulcher I bought for 100 dollars, cleaned out the carburetor and got it running again, I used it yesterday to chew up and pulverize about 60 potted pepper plants and recycled the potting soil, filling a 55 gallon barrel and a trash barrel for next season. I use a cement mixer to make my potting soil from premium topsoil and perlite.

    It's becoming 2nd nature and more productive than a hive of bees! I have peach and apple trees too. BTW, my blood pressure is 111 over 70.


  4. #4

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris007 View Post
    Awesome TIG. Keep going, stay focused. The important thing is to always remember WHY you're doing this new lifestyle change. WHY you're willing to alter your old way of living and adapt new habits. It's not about how you'll eventually end up looking, it's very important to always stay focused on the real reason you're doing what you're doing (medical, esthetic, financial reasons). Keep trucking while always reminding yourself of the real reason for the change.
    Yes, I think people get too focused on a single end result, and forget that the journey there is the important part. So what happens is people get all motived to lose a bunch of weight and get in shape, and then when they get there, they feel all relieved like they've accomplished it. So then they quit and re-gain the weight, and maybe even more. It's better to get moving in a good direction and to enjoy that as a permanent lifestyle change. If you hit your ideal weight, you need to keep goals! Then your goal is to stay at that weight for a year and then re-set goals. Maybe you have an exercise goal for a certain number of miles or kilometers to run, or maybe there's still a goal to improve cardiovascular performance or musculature.

    I actually lost weight before and gained it back. What changed was I got a girlfriend! It felt like I had reached my goal. But you can never fully reach your goals or you get complacent. I finally started doing this because getting diabetes was totally unacceptable to me! So is being this heavy! So I'm doing something about it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member mgtower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3,999
    Reputation
    12174
    Type
    Ghosted by law and order.

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    When you come to a fork in the road and choose wisely, never to return to that intersection, those are your mile markers to permanent change for the better. Alcohol and processed sugar are the body's worst enemy, especially when consumed excessively.

    Meanwhile in health news; in the Congo stolen catalytic converters are being crushed up and snorted for a catatonic effect that leaves the user motionless for long periods of time or sleeping for days. For more on this story (click here).

  6. #6
    Senior Member ResidentEvil7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    265
    Reputation
    248
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    That's very good. Good for you for taking the red pill and focusing on your health and well-being.

    I too have gotten serious about working out and losing weight myself. Last Friday, I did a workout in my basement with dumbbells and barbell and my bench and resistance bands for an hour. I had my Conan the Barbarian movie on to keep me entertained. I want to lose 90 pounds by my next birthday (40) next September and I'm very willing to get there my working out 5 days during the week, eat healthy salads, chicken breast, fish, tuna, fruits/vegetables and supplements. I used to hate working out, but now my body wants it. When I get more money I'm going to invest in buying more gym equipment such as punching bag, more dumbbells, weight rack and so much from Dick's Sporting Goods. I'm so happy about my new fitness journey.

    It's not definite, but after I get in shape, I'm considering starting a fitness website and channel on YouTube showing men that you too can lose weight just like me. I'm also in the process of working things out with major supplement companies that might help me get discounts on factory-direct supplements I'm familiar with so I can resell them on eBay as an entrepreneur. Finally, I'll have my own job, instead of applying for a job that goes to another applicant.
    It's a man's world and we need to take it by the throat and make it give us what we desire.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    4
    Reputation
    12
    Type
    Bachelor

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Congratulations on your weight loss, friend. I found the keto diet to be very helpful in weight loss, mostly due to the appetite suppressing aspect of it. Once I lost the weight I needed to torch, I simply started to eat “normal food” in moderation. Appetite seems to have a sort of muscle memory, and diet trains your body to expect certain eating behaviors.

    One other thing I realized is that weight loss is mostly dependent on diet. Unless you do an extreme workout like p90x or Insanity, most of the pounds will drop due to calorie deficit. Good luck on continued weight loss!

  8. #8

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Congratulations on your weight loss, friend. I found the keto diet to be very helpful in weight loss, mostly due to the appetite suppressing aspect of it. Once I lost the weight I needed to torch, I simply started to eat “normal food” in moderation. Appetite seems to have a sort of muscle memory, and diet trains your body to expect certain eating behaviors.

    One other thing I realized is that weight loss is mostly dependent on diet. Unless you do an extreme workout like p90x or Insanity, most of the pounds will drop due to calorie deficit. Good luck on continued weight loss!
    I've realized one other thing. I think they've also designed fast food to be addictive. I noticed that I would get hungry and I would crave something very specific like a McDonalds Big Mac. I think they use fat and salt, and maybe other chemicals, to make you crave their food specifically. When I first started my dietary change, I craved their crap like crazy. But now those cravings have faded.

  9. #9

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Good for you. As the late great Paul Proteus would say, "your freedom to..."

  10. #10

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Congratulations for losing 12 freedom units! Keep it up brother.

  11. #11

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Congratulations on making the first steps. They're the hardest.
    Your terminology "Dietary Change" is the key. Diets don't work.

    Processed carbohydrates, including and especially sugar, are a powerful addiction.
    Addictions can't be bargained with, reasoned with or coped with with any type of moderation.
    It doesn't help that our brains are hardwired to dopamine reward the consumption of anything high in calories as well as the constant bombardment of advertising targeting every aspect of our human nature to sell processed food and fizzy drinks.
    It makes it an extremely difficult cycle to break out of permanently.

    Your brain will play every trick it can think of on you to get back on the processed food merry-go-round, just as it does when you try to give up smoking, stop gambling or drinking or any other addiction.

    When you've finally beaten it, you'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

    A good book to read is online "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubs.
    Go real easy on the exercise, you'll learn why in the book.

  12. #12

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Quote Originally Posted by TigPlaze View Post
    I think they use fat and salt, and maybe other chemicals, to make you crave their food specifically.
    The culprit here is SUGAR. They use it because it triggers cravings in your brain close to, or exceeding, the cravings of heroin. Sugar is disguised and renamed in an effort to hide it in the nutritional info but it's in everything they produce. Even in their fries.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ResidentEvil7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    265
    Reputation
    248
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    The only time I eat fast food is on Saturdays when my dad brings home McDonald's for movie night dinner. My dad and I watch a movie almost every Saturday; father/son times.
    It's a man's world and we need to take it by the throat and make it give us what we desire.

  14. #14

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Wait until you discover alternate day fasting

  15. #15

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Congratulations on making the first steps. They're the hardest.
    Your terminology "Dietary Change" is the key. Diets don't work.

    Processed carbohydrates, including and especially sugar, are a powerful addiction.
    Addictions can't be bargained with, reasoned with or coped with with any type of moderation.
    It doesn't help that our brains are hardwired to dopamine reward the consumption of anything high in calories as well as the constant bombardment of advertising targeting every aspect of our human nature to sell processed food and fizzy drinks.
    It makes it an extremely difficult cycle to break out of permanently.

    Your brain will play every trick it can think of on you to get back on the processed food merry-go-round, just as it does when you try to give up smoking, stop gambling or drinking or any other addiction.

    When you've finally beaten it, you'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

    A good book to read is online "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubs.
    Go real easy on the exercise, you'll learn why in the book.
    This so much. I used to be an addict. I once sat outside a shop for over an hour trying to force myself NOT to shoplift a candy bar. I was broke as fuck, and there I was debating with myself over comitting a crime for a Mars bar. fucking insane.

    The only way I broke out of it was doing water fasting for autophagy, a 7 day fast later and I found not only had my addiction to sugar gone after, but it reset my tongue palate. Anything with sugar in was too sweet, literally "eugh". Didn't take long for too sweet stuff to not be sweet enough.

    I am still a psuedo addict in that if I don't abstain AT ALL from sugar before I know it I am eating sour patch kids like a junkie.

    I fucking hate hunger and fasting, so what I do is if I give in to a binge eating session, I force myself to fast after. Not the most healthy lifestyle but because addiction is all or nothing, I would rather have nothing (no sugar) and not have to fast after it, than binge eat and have to fast.

    The hardest part for me on a non sugar diet is trying to figure out what to eat. Even vegetables and fruit contains sugar.

  16. #16

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Quote Originally Posted by nothingness View Post
    This so much. I used to be an addict. I once sat outside a shop for over an hour trying to force myself NOT to shoplift a candy bar. I was broke as fuck, and there I was debating with myself over comitting a crime for a Mars bar. fucking insane.

    The only way I broke out of it was doing water fasting for autophagy, a 7 day fast later and I found not only had my addiction to sugar gone after, but it reset my tongue palate. Anything with sugar in was too sweet, literally "eugh". Didn't take long for too sweet stuff to not be sweet enough.

    I am still a psuedo addict in that if I don't abstain AT ALL from sugar before I know it I am eating sour patch kids like a junkie.

    I fucking hate hunger and fasting, so what I do is if I give in to a binge eating session, I force myself to fast after. Not the most healthy lifestyle but because addiction is all or nothing, I would rather have nothing (no sugar) and not have to fast after it, than binge eat and have to fast.

    The hardest part for me on a non sugar diet is trying to figure out what to eat. Even vegetables and fruit contains sugar.
    I'm okay with consuming sugar via vegetables and fruit. These foods have a normal and natural amount of sugar along with lots of other great nutrients and fiber. That's way different from something like a candy bar or candy cane or soda pop that is full of nutritionally poor white sugar, and basically inundates your system with it. If you eat a piece of watermelon or an orange, you do get some sugar, but not in insane quantities. I also don't feel addicted to fruit or vegetables whereas if I've been eating a certain kind of chocolate bar regularly, I feel totally strong and addicted cravings for it.

  17. #17

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Right but any amount of any sugar will still trigger that dopamine release. For an actual sugar addict, that's basically a relapse. It's why alcoholics on the program are encouraged to become celibate, so not to trigger the same dopamine response system.

  18. #18
    Senior Member ResidentEvil7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    265
    Reputation
    248
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    I just got done doing a 90 minute dumbbell and resistance workout in the basement gym in front of Conan The Barbarian. I feel exhausted. I'm having a strawberry protein shake. I noticed I'm starting to get stronger if I can last 90 minutes and lifting heavier. I feel like I'm doing a great job.

    As far as sugar goes, I cut that off and been eating foods like: fish, chicken (I love chicken), Japanese sticky white rice, pre-made salads and fresh fruit and vegetables. The only sugar I get is from my frozen berry protein shake. I do drink sodas, but it's the zero sugar/zero calorie kind.
    It's a man's world and we need to take it by the throat and make it give us what we desire.

  19. #19

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentEvil7 View Post
    I just got done doing a 90 minute dumbbell and resistance workout in the basement gym in front of Conan The Barbarian. I feel exhausted. I'm having a strawberry protein shake. I noticed I'm starting to get stronger if I can last 90 minutes and lifting heavier. I feel like I'm doing a great job.

    As far as sugar goes, I cut that off and been eating foods like: fish, chicken (I love chicken), Japanese sticky white rice, pre-made salads and fresh fruit and vegetables. The only sugar I get is from my frozen berry protein shake. I do drink sodas, but it's the zero sugar/zero calorie kind.
    Careful with the zero calorie sodas. They may be without calories, but the artificial sweeteners they use to trick your body into thinking it got something sweet also make you crave more calories in the long run. Thus if you choose to drink those, I would recommend making it only an occasional thing. There are other drinks that are zero calorie that don't have fake sweeteners. My choice is plain black tea with no added sugar or anything added other than occasionally a little bit of lemon. I also drink some sparkling water. Other than that, there's nothing wrong with plain old water! It has no calories and quenches your thirst just fine. I prefer to refrigerate it first. If the quality of water in your area sucks, you can always filter it with filtering pitchers. I go with regular water if I think I've had enough caffeine via my black tea. I'm also considering drinking green tea. I have been allowing for a rare treat of a regular soda, but I'm starting to find I don't want those so much anymore.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    13
    Reputation
    11
    Type
    Bachelor

    Re: 12 pounds off so far

    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentEvil7 View Post
    The only time I eat fast food is on Saturdays when my dad brings home McDonald's for movie night dinner. My dad and I watch a movie almost every Saturday; father/son times.
    Nothing wrong with a cheat day! Saturday is also my cheat day where anything goes. It helps me stick to the plan the rest of the week.


Similar Threads

  1. 250 pounds ...
    By chbedok in forum News Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 2, 2016, 1:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •