Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Living alone does not make you mad

    This is good news for us but it means that we are without an explanation for crazy cat ladies:

    https://www.univadis.co.uk/viewartic...6817&utm_term=

    "Many people experience living alone in later life as proportion of people living alone continue to rise because of population ageing, decreased family sizes and government policies promoting ageing in place. Negative experiences such as isolation, loneliness and poor social network associated with ageing in place may limit an individual’s ability to live alone successfully in later life. However, a report, published in the Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, suggest no association between living alone and poorer cognitive function.Study used baseline (n=3593) and 2-year follow-up data (n=2236) from the Cognitive Function and Ageing Study–Wales to evaluate community-dwelling participants aged ≥65 years without cognitive impairment or depression at baseline. Social isolation, loneliness and cognitive function were assessed using Lubben Social Network Scale–6, De Jong Gierveld scale and Cambridge Cognitive Examination, respectively.

    At baseline, 624 people were living alone. Compared to living with others, living alone was associated with isolation from family, but not from friends. People who lived alone reported significantly greater feelings of overall and emotional loneliness, but did not experience difference in feelings of social loneliness as they were more likely to engage in regular social activity. No association was observed between living alone and poorer cognitive function at baseline or 2-year follow-up (P<.001).
    These findings are a positive note for people living alone in later life, a period when living alone is likelier than any other period in the lifespan. Authors suggest that living alone could be a benefit as it increases the capability to manage independently. However, those not able to manage themselves independently because of poor cognitive function or health may need to move into a care home."
    Liberty, Property, Sanity (GreyWolf68)


    Alpha fucks, Beta bucks, Sigma doesn't play.


    MGTOW means never having to care about the female viewpoint (Deathslayer)


    MGTOW is weed for the soul


    I came, I saw, I shrugged, I left


    There is no Tooth Fairy. There is no Santa Claus. There is no Good Woman.


    Disengage, retreat in good order, slash, burn and wait for winter (GreyWolf68)

  2. #2
    Senior Member mgtower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    886
    Reputation
    4486
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Living alone does not make you mad

    Living alone is GREAT! All the bullshit of having someone else and their shit always interfering with you and your shit is NON EXISTENT!

    Just yesterday I had the opportunity to change this as a female approached me boldly and brazenly looking to "hook up", more than anything I looked into my future with that possibility and it HORRIFIED ME! A saw a future of constant manipulation and disobedience to any concrete commonsense practices to unity and harmony! I literally saw my future life flash before my eyes and realized it was just my turn because she chose me, made the first move in a series of moves that would dislodge my independence, sanity, security, well being, and cause greater harm than good!

    These are the times we live in, women's attitudes forged by the false notion of equality has plummeted their value across all spectrum to below worthless, to a 100% LIABILITY!

    I use my logic (masculine nature) to guide me through these perils of change that have destroyed our civilization one alteration at a time giving us the calamity, instability, and social wreckage we see today!

    I didn't make this wayward and ruined society, I just navigate to the best of my ability!
    Last edited by mgtower; April 28, 2019 at 11:43 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Joetech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    631
    Reputation
    2090
    Type
    Bachelor

    Re: Living alone does not make you mad

    One of the reasons I've decided to keep my current living arrangement is because I prefer not to live alone. I did that in San Diego and Seattle. In my 'golden years' I like the security of knowing that
    A): If I ever fall down, there will be someone there to pick me back up.

    B): If some crazy bimbo ever comes to our door to 'hook up' with me, my niece and her cat lady girlfriend will run them off like I never could.
    "Don't follow in my footsteps. I stepped in something."

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mum's Basement
    Posts
    1,294
    Reputation
    5318
    Type
    Neutral

    Re: Living alone does not make you mad

    There's something to be said for madness.

    The elderly cat ladies are 'mad'....but mad as in 'angry'. Furious in fact.

    True madness, ie/ being crazy, might not necessarily be such a terrible thing.

    When I was a boy, there was another kid who lived nearby. He wasn't completely mad - but he was certainly on his way there. He wasn't treated as crazy. We all knew that there was something amiss, but he was funny - so he kinda got away with it.

    We had a big playing field nearby and I remember him once challenging a horse rider and her horse to a race. He was convinced that he could beat this horse over a distance of about half a mile....as long as he was given a ten foot head start!! We were all shaking our heads in disbelief as he got to his marks...the horse took about one second to zoom past him and he made it about 20 paces before he collapsed.

    However, this lad always had a smile on his face and was never miserable or angry at anything. Part of me felt sorry for him, but in a strange way, another part of me envied him. He will probably go through life completely happy and unaffected by the type of things that have upset the rest of us at some point.

    Living alone can make you depressed I suppose...which in turn, could eventually lead to madness. It all depends on your character and how you deal with things. The alternative is sometimes much worse though. If the alternate option to being alone consists of you being 'together' with your miserable, old, nagging wife, I'll take the loneliness, thanks.

    And if the madness ever kicks in - well, I know a great guy to chase horses with.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Joetech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    631
    Reputation
    2090
    Type
    Bachelor

    Re: Living alone does not make you mad

    I must have gone mad a long time ago and just never realized it. What used to make me mad was not being able to convince others that they were wrong about anything. Now, I realize that their mis-conceptions are their problem, not mine, unless I choose to let it bother me.

    Like Winston Churchill once wrote, When you're in your 20's you care what everyone thinks of you. In your 40's you don't, and in your 60's you finally realize that nobody is thinking of your welfare at all...except you.
    "Don't follow in my footsteps. I stepped in something."

  6. #6
    Senior Member mgtower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    886
    Reputation
    4486
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Living alone does not make you mad

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Keyknob View Post
    There's something to be said for madness.

    The elderly cat ladies are 'mad'....but mad as in 'angry'. Furious in fact.

    True madness, ie/ being crazy, might not necessarily be such a terrible thing.

    When I was a boy, there was another kid who lived nearby. He wasn't completely mad - but he was certainly on his way there. He wasn't treated as crazy. We all knew that there was something amiss, but he was funny - so he kinda got away with it.

    We had a big playing field nearby and I remember him once challenging a horse rider and her horse to a race. He was convinced that he could beat this horse over a distance of about half a mile....as long as he was given a ten foot head start!! We were all shaking our heads in disbelief as he got to his marks...the horse took about one second to zoom past him and he made it about 20 paces before he collapsed.

    However, this lad always had a smile on his face and was never miserable or angry at anything. Part of me felt sorry for him, but in a strange way, another part of me envied him. He will probably go through life completely happy and unaffected by the type of things that have upset the rest of us at some point.

    Living alone can make you depressed I suppose...which in turn, could eventually lead to madness. It all depends on your character and how you deal with things. The alternative is sometimes much worse though. If the alternate option to being alone consists of you being 'together' with your miserable, old, nagging wife, I'll take the loneliness, thanks.

    And if the madness ever kicks in - well, I know a great guy to chase horses with.
    WOW! Hey Donkey, I'm that kid!

    You've heard of having a couple screws loose? That's nothing, for me the ones that aren't loose are stripped out or entirely or missing altogether! My sanity is all pretend, because that's the only sanity I have! You say loneliness? I don't know what that is? Not with all voices I hear in my head! They're not mundane voices, we have intellectual conversations!

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mum's Basement
    Posts
    1,294
    Reputation
    5318
    Type
    Neutral

    Re: Living alone does not make you mad

    Quote Originally Posted by mgtower View Post
    WOW! Hey Donkey, I'm that kid!

    You've heard of having a couple screws loose? That's nothing, for me the ones that aren't loose are stripped out or entirely or missing altogether! My sanity is all pretend, because that's the only sanity I have! You say loneliness? I don't know what that is? Not with all voices I hear in my head! They're not mundane voices, we have intellectual conversations!
    Hey buddy!!! I'd heard that you'd emigrated...end up anywhere nice??

    I know exactly how you feel as I used to be a schizophrenic. And so was I. We are much better now!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member mgtower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    886
    Reputation
    4486
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: Living alone does not make you mad

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Keyknob View Post
    Hey buddy!!! I'd heard that you'd emigrated...end up anywhere nice??

    I know exactly how you feel as I used to be a schizophrenic. And so was I. We are much better now!!
    I bet if we did a Vulcan mind meld we'd make the Tsar Bomba look like a firecracker!








Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: March 26, 2019, 8:22 PM
  2. Living the dream
    By Cracked Lurker in forum Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 3, 2016, 8:15 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 23, 2015, 6:51 AM
  4. Minimalist Living
    By Metacarpels in forum Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: September 18, 2014, 5:58 AM
  5. Living alone
    By Tangent in forum Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 22, 2014, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •