Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 101 to 113 of 113
  1. #101
    Senior Member Zoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    273
    Reputation
    2172
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    What is this obsession with being forgotten/remembered? Why should I give a single flying fuck? As far as I can tell, I will be dead—or rather, there will not be an I anymore. So there will not be an I that could worry its sorry ass about whether people remember it or not. About 100 billion people have lived so far—can you so much as name them? I am not even asking for anything complicated, just simple biographical data… Only a very tiny minority of those 100 billion “live on” in our stories, and even our stories are limited by the shelf life of the species. So much for being remembered.

  2. #102
    Senior Member Azure Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,050
    Reputation
    14296
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    It is better to remember the good days you had sleep then the days where you will have the eternal sleep. Flip the mindset and it frees the mind to enjoy life by removing the chains of societal obligations.

  3. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    61
    Reputation
    186
    Type
    Neutral

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Keyknob View Post
    Don't blame you in the slightest.

    I've already 'arranged' mine. They take you away, straight to the crematorium, scatter the ashes in their own grounds, no headstone, no service, no wake/party. 600. Everyone is moaning at me about it. I can only assume that they're thinking about the free buffet they'll be missing out on.
    Is this UK Don? Where do you get this service from, sounds pretty good.

  4. #104
    Senior Member Don Keyknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mum's Basement
    Posts
    845
    Reputation
    2770
    Type
    Neutral

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    Quote Originally Posted by CultVoid View Post
    Is this UK Don? Where do you get this service from, sounds pretty good.
    Yeah...the UK. Looked it up a couple of years ago. Still have the details written down somewhere so I'll try to dig it up (if you pardon the burial pun)...but I assume that there would be a few places doing it.

    Biggest racket ever. Funerals and their costs. They rely on people's feelings at an emotional time. People burying loved relatives and imagining that person is 'at rest' or something. It's a sad time, no doubt, but all that is essentially left is skin and bones.

    My dad always said he wants a horse drawn carriage! (but not from his wallet, naturally)

    There should be a state run option at a minimal cost.

  5. #105

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Apathy View Post
    I wanted to ask you guys, where does 'dying alone' rank on the average female's list of fears?
    Almost at the top. The female instinct is naturally social, much more then the male. Men build cities, women build societies. And they cannot stand the thought of being without one. This is likely a primal fear, back from the times where women needed the protection of men or the group, as they are more vulnerable alone then men are due to their reduced physical prowess (lower strength and stamina). And yea, when this is said, they are projecting.

    There's a really great comeback to this one, that'll immediately drive this point home to her: "When we both die alone, only one of us will die with a smile on his lips."
    Expect her face to go pale for a moment, before anger resurfaces.

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gizzard Gulch Or.
    Posts
    1,686
    Reputation
    5721
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    Quote Originally Posted by CultVoid View Post
    Is this UK Don? Where do you get this service from, sounds pretty good.
    I got a prepaid cremation plan from the local funeral home. The parents had one, and theirs worked good. All your people have to to do is pick up the phone.


    Mine cost most of a grand. Have seen some advertised for a few hundred less. I guess their considered bad investments. If the funeral home goes belly up or you move away your out a luck. But having no close family I wanted it taken care of.
    Every day I make the world a little bit worse.

  7. #107

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    Quote Originally Posted by AeternusDoleo View Post
    Almost at the top. The female instinct is naturally social, much more then the male. Men build cities, women build societies. And they cannot stand the thought of being without one. This is likely a primal fear, back from the times where women needed the protection of men or the group, as they are more vulnerable alone then men are due to their reduced physical prowess (lower strength and stamina). And yea, when this is said, they are projecting.

    There's a really great comeback to this one, that'll immediately drive this point home to her: "When we both die alone, only one of us will die with a smile on his lips."
    Expect her face to go pale for a moment, before anger resurfaces.
    Post of the month material here. Welcome aboard, AeternusDoleo
    Choose your own mid-life crisis. Mine will not be a sports car, the red head in accounting, or sports betting.

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    198
    Reputation
    769
    Type
    Morlock

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    We all die alone, it doesn't matter how many people are around you or how many people you created or friends you have. I always think of my grandfather, he died alone in a nursing home 10 minutes drive from the house he worked to pay off. He was placed in the home due to dementia and years prior to that my mother and grandmother would always stop him from going outside which he loved because he suffered from emphysema and they were scared he would get sick and die. He would have been better off dying in the back yard than developing dementia and dying alone in a piss wreaking nursing home in the early hours of the morning.



  9. #109
    Senior Member FrostByte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    158
    Reputation
    1008
    Type
    Bachelor

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    Quote Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
    We all die alone, it doesn't matter how many people are around you or how many people you created or friends you have. I always think of my grandfather, he died alone in a nursing home 10 minutes drive from the house he worked to pay off. He was placed in the home due to dementia and years prior to that my mother and grandmother would always stop him from going outside which he loved because he suffered from emphysema and they were scared he would get sick and die. He would have been better off dying in the back yard than developing dementia and dying alone in a piss wreaking nursing home in the early hours of the morning.


    I have never understood the Western fear of death. We laud about the dignity of a good death in movies and in media, but when the time comes to die we sentence our elders to rot in an unfamiliar home, away from their family, in the care of strangers who don't even care about them. It is cruel and undignified at best. Unless you have the courage to end your own life, not as suicide but as a consciousness choice that it is the best and only choice left you have, you will never own your own life. I have lived on my own terms - I will die on my own terms.

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    198
    Reputation
    769
    Type
    Morlock

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostByte View Post
    I have never understood the Western fear of death. We laud about the dignity of a good death in movies and in media, but when the time comes to die we sentence our elders to rot in an unfamiliar home, away from their family, in the care of strangers who don't even care about them. It is cruel and undignified at best. Unless you have the courage to end your own life, not as suicide but as a consciousness choice that it is the best and only choice left you have, you will never own your own life. I have lived on my own terms - I will die on my own terms.
    I think a great deal of it is due to a lack of spiritualism in our society now. People fear death because that is the end rather than the beginning of something different. We keep being told life is sacred but it isn't really. Society proves that time and again.

    In regards to my grandfather, I don't think he feared death or thought about it. I think my grandmother and mother were trying to keep him alive to save themselves guilt if he did get sick and die. I am not sure how that was really a good thing in the long run but I do believe that is what was going through their minds.

  11. #111
    Senior Member FrostByte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    158
    Reputation
    1008
    Type
    Bachelor

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    I agree that it is the living that fear to lose a loved one more, and cling to life than it is the dying willing to pass away.

  12. #112
    Senior Member Unboxxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,836
    Reputation
    7571
    Type
    enigmatic

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    The inelegance of death. Who is death for? Is it for the dead, or for the living? How unfortunate we each have to write our own interpretations and struggle with the contrasting multiplicity of them.

    When I am at death's door, will I feel a cold void approaching? Will I suffer fear in those final breaths if I see no deceased relatives appear to escort me over the threshold?

    I like that I think now and again about my parents who have both died. I believe it improves me to do this, as I contemplate that I loved them and they loved me, and I now miss them. I can take from this and apply it elsewhere in my life.

    I have no tidy summation.
    The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why. - Mark Twain

    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
    - Henry David Thoreau

    There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

    Suitable for bookmarking: www.fakehatecrimes.org

  13. #113
    Senior Member Insidious_Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    2,340
    Reputation
    19952
    Type
    Ghost

    Re: "You'll die alone"

    Actually, as a single dad, I WANT to die alone. And I want someone else to find me and not my children.
    I'd like to go straight from alive to ashes, mixed with an eye irritant, and dropped from a drone over the University of Toronto Faculty of Women's Studies.
    (The thought of feminists noses running, mucous membranes inflamed - a final goodbye and fuck you from SID hahahahaha).

    But I digress.

    Although I really want to see my parents off and be there at their end, my kids are too young yet...

    I'd much rather die alone, in fact, I secretly wish for this already.
    - Feminism is Cancer.
    - Where have all the good men gone? Away. Far far away... from you.
    - NAWALT? Maybe, but EWALT means Russian Roulette is a much safer bet...


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: February 26, 2016, 9:30 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: November 2, 2014, 6:45 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 14, 2014, 11:01 AM
  4. "Controlling behaviour" is "domestic abuse".
    By Freeychromosome in forum News Articles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 16, 2014, 2:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •